Monday, January 24, 2011

American Impressionist Agnes Richmond

The hubs and I went to a Collector's Group event at the Greenville Art Museum on Sunday evening. The featured artist was Agnes Richmond (1870-1964), an American Impressionist. Richmond was greatly influenced by John Sloan and was one generation behind the greats like Monet and Manet. The collection was provided by the Knocke Fine Arts in Marietta, GA. I took pictures of some of my favorites for you to enjoy. I know what you are thinking - of course, I did not use a flash and had permission from the curator.


I really enjoyed these rustic landscapes. The colors were beautiful.



Very nice...



This one was exceptional with the strong blue undertones in the rocks.




And I save you my very favorite for last. It was from a private collection and the only one not for sale (my husband would like to point out that it's not like we would be buying one anyway and he's right). Richmond was most known for her portraits. The Japanese culture was very influential and popular during her day and you can see it in the background here.



I thought you might ALSO enjoy the flowers from the event. I thought they were lovely and my favorite was the little vase of cotton buds. It was very unique. I wish I had taken a picture of the large floral arrangement with the food - it was incredible but a total bust since I didn't take a picture - sorry about that.


This painting was not part of the Richmond collection but stunning all the same.


What do you think? If anyone is interested in the paintings you can get more information directly from the Greenville Art Museum.

XOXO







No comments:

Post a Comment